1998 Doping Test Results (the bad)

Drop Your Science About Road Cycling; Gossip, Rumors, Half Truths and even some Facts! Cycle Babble about pro racing, doping and pro politics from around the world!

Moderators: chaoscycling, Moderators

1998 Doping Test Results (the bad)

Postby Agent 86 » Wed Jul 24, 2013 11:28 am

Looks like we need to revisit the past, 1998.
Team Cinzano, Home of The Evil Empire and Champions of the 2008 TdC !

And First to say '09 will be like '86 Hinault vs Lemond
User avatar
Agent 86
Nit Picky Fiddy
 
Posts: 11477
Joined: Fri Dec 29, 2006 3:16 pm
Location: Managing The Cinzano Evil Empire!

Re: 1998 Doping Test Results (the bad)

Postby Agent 86 » Wed Jul 24, 2013 11:32 am

So far we have the following riders who have tested positive for EPO from their 1998 Tour samples.

Laurant Jalabert
Stewart O'Grady
Abraham Olano
Marcos Serrano
Manuel Triki Beltrán
Jacky Durand
Laurent Desbiens
Marco Pantani
Jan Ulrrich
Erik Zabel
Mario Cipollini
Andrea Tafi
Fabio Sacchi
Bo Hamburger
Kevin Livingston
Jeroen Blijlevens

Anyone else?

Just got these from as.com
Team Cinzano, Home of The Evil Empire and Champions of the 2008 TdC !

And First to say '09 will be like '86 Hinault vs Lemond
User avatar
Agent 86
Nit Picky Fiddy
 
Posts: 11477
Joined: Fri Dec 29, 2006 3:16 pm
Location: Managing The Cinzano Evil Empire!

Re: 1998 Doping Test Results (the bad)

Postby mashjaja » Wed Jul 24, 2013 2:00 pm

CN reported the following:


Positive:

Andrea Tafi, Erik Zabel, Bo Hamburger (twice), Laurent Jalabert, Marcos Serrano, Jens Heppner, Jeroen Blijlevens, Nicola Minali, Mario Cipollini, Fabio Sacchi, Eddy Mazzoleni, Jacky Durand, Abraham Olano, Laurent Desbiens, Marco Pantani, Manuel Beltran, Jan Ullrich (twice), Kevin Livingston (twice)

Suspicious:
Ermanno Brignoli, Alain Turicchia, Pascal Chanteur, Frederic Moncassin, Bobby Julich, Roland Meier, Giuseppe Calcaterra, Stefano Zanini, Eddy Mazzoleni, Stephane Barthe, Stuart O'Grady, Axel Merckx


Which is interesting to me that Stuey and Bobby J were both just "suspicious" though they both admitted it. Guess it shows that no test is perfect and we need to remember that.

I loved Durand's confession and interview yesterday, though. He does not mince his words lol!!!
"Nothing compares to the simple pleasure of a bike ride." --John F. Kennedy
User avatar
mashjaja
Incessant Saxophile
 
Posts: 12605
Joined: Mon Jan 15, 2007 9:19 am
Location: Stalking Leopards.....

Re: 1998 Doping Test Results (the bad)

Postby kimmi » Wed Jul 24, 2013 3:35 pm

mashjaja wrote:CN reported the following:


Positive:

Andrea Tafi, Erik Zabel, Bo Hamburger (twice), Laurent Jalabert, Marcos Serrano, Jens Heppner, Jeroen Blijlevens, Nicola Minali, Mario Cipollini, Fabio Sacchi, Eddy Mazzoleni, Jacky Durand, Abraham Olano, Laurent Desbiens, Marco Pantani, Manuel Beltran, Jan Ullrich (twice), Kevin Livingston (twice)

Suspicious:
Ermanno Brignoli, Alain Turicchia, Pascal Chanteur, Frederic Moncassin, Bobby Julich, Roland Meier, Giuseppe Calcaterra, Stefano Zanini, Eddy Mazzoleni, Stephane Barthe, Stuart O'Grady, Axel Merckx


Which is interesting to me that Stuey and Bobby J were both just "suspicious" though they both admitted it. Guess it shows that no test is perfect and we need to remember that.

I loved Durand's confession and interview yesterday, though. He does not mince his words lol!!!


Do you have a link to the Durand interview?
User avatar
kimmi
Resident Pain in the behind!
 
Posts: 12484
Joined: Fri Aug 17, 2007 5:01 pm
Location: blowing past Canaduh!!!

Re: 1998 Doping Test Results (the bad)

Postby Agent 86 » Wed Jul 24, 2013 4:33 pm

kimmi wrote:
mashjaja wrote:CN reported the following:


Positive:

Andrea Tafi, Erik Zabel, Bo Hamburger (twice), Laurent Jalabert, Marcos Serrano, Jens Heppner, Jeroen Blijlevens, Nicola Minali, Mario Cipollini, Fabio Sacchi, Eddy Mazzoleni, Jacky Durand, Abraham Olano, Laurent Desbiens, Marco Pantani, Manuel Beltran, Jan Ullrich (twice), Kevin Livingston (twice)

Suspicious:
Ermanno Brignoli, Alain Turicchia, Pascal Chanteur, Frederic Moncassin, Bobby Julich, Roland Meier, Giuseppe Calcaterra, Stefano Zanini, Eddy Mazzoleni, Stephane Barthe, Stuart O'Grady, Axel Merckx


Which is interesting to me that Stuey and Bobby J were both just "suspicious" though they both admitted it. Guess it shows that no test is perfect and we need to remember that.

I loved Durand's confession and interview yesterday, though. He does not mince his words lol!!!


Do you have a link to the Durand interview?


Here's the VeloNation version http://www.velonation.com/News/ID/15078/Durand-accepts-French-senate-reportLe-Monde-claims-that-he-used-EPO.aspx

I don't quite think its a full confession if not another "Everyone was doing it" type statement. Blaming the time and not himself. These guys need to just list out what they did and not beat around the bushes with innuendo and tangents. Who cares what he thinks riders are doing today, its not like he's living with them so his comments are as valid as anyone elses.
Team Cinzano, Home of The Evil Empire and Champions of the 2008 TdC !

And First to say '09 will be like '86 Hinault vs Lemond
User avatar
Agent 86
Nit Picky Fiddy
 
Posts: 11477
Joined: Fri Dec 29, 2006 3:16 pm
Location: Managing The Cinzano Evil Empire!

Re: 1998 Doping Test Results (the bad)

Postby scoottaymacattack » Thu Jul 25, 2013 9:09 am

Truth and Reconciliation!!!

Is it me, or is it a bit ridiculous that we are running tests on samples from 1998? What purpose does is serve? When are the French going to start testing soccer and other athletes?
Hey, I wanna ride insane
And at the moment life starts to burn
I'm gonna ride this sunset to the grave


Image
User avatar
scoottaymacattack
Anonymous Poster
 
Posts: 1767
Joined: Fri Mar 09, 2007 4:02 pm
Location: Dusty Mexican Borderlines

Re: 1998 Doping Test Results (the bad)

Postby Agent 86 » Thu Jul 25, 2013 12:02 pm

scoottaymacattack wrote:Truth and Reconciliation!!!

Is it me, or is it a bit ridiculous that we are running tests on samples from 1998? What purpose does is serve? When are the French going to start testing soccer and other athletes?


More like crash and burn :P

I don't think they can do a T&R now, its too late, just look at the fallout from just about every doping case ever.

Doping is bad, yes, but! The news headlines which continually put cycling at the top are much too big and bigger than any race winner or super feat. T&R means just one more big headline and then nothing, its back to actual racing results, not good enough to capture headlines at least not at this furious rate. Usually we only have one big one pre-Tour then maybe a few scattered throughout the year, but now, especially this year well since October 2012 its been a headline extravaganza! They keep coming about every two months, then there's the pre-leak headlines where we all guess the final outcome.

Then, imagine you were caught doping, did your time paid your fee, lost your salary, now some guy you rode with gets it all pushed aside because of T&R. Fair? At least these 1998 guys are losing their current day job for a year or so (example Matt White, Bobby Julich, etc.)
Team Cinzano, Home of The Evil Empire and Champions of the 2008 TdC !

And First to say '09 will be like '86 Hinault vs Lemond
User avatar
Agent 86
Nit Picky Fiddy
 
Posts: 11477
Joined: Fri Dec 29, 2006 3:16 pm
Location: Managing The Cinzano Evil Empire!

Re: 1998 Doping Test Results (the bad)

Postby kimmi » Thu Jul 25, 2013 12:07 pm

scoottaymacattack wrote:Truth and Reconciliation!!!

Is it me, or is it a bit ridiculous that we are running tests on samples from 1998? What purpose does is serve? When are the French going to start testing soccer and other athletes?



Scoottay, retro testing serves NO purpose except to deflect from the present. It's easier to focus on the past than to move forward and deal with the ingrained doping culture and fix the now. Anyone who thinks that vilifying a certain decade of riders will improve anything, is a fool.

This only proves how hypocritical the sport and its fans are.

I love cycling but I 'm really starting to hate this sport that 100% thrives on drama.
User avatar
kimmi
Resident Pain in the behind!
 
Posts: 12484
Joined: Fri Aug 17, 2007 5:01 pm
Location: blowing past Canaduh!!!

Re: 1998 Doping Test Results (the bad)

Postby scoottaymacattack » Thu Jul 25, 2013 6:38 pm

Kimmi,

I think the thing that bothers me the most, whether we're discussing the whole Armstrong thing here or the recent set of events in France is that we now have politicians getting involved in the process. Pardon my "french", but that only seems to further ensure that things will only proceed to get further screwed up.
Hey, I wanna ride insane
And at the moment life starts to burn
I'm gonna ride this sunset to the grave


Image
User avatar
scoottaymacattack
Anonymous Poster
 
Posts: 1767
Joined: Fri Mar 09, 2007 4:02 pm
Location: Dusty Mexican Borderlines


Return to ROAD RAGE: The Best Pro Cycling Forum Around!

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests

cron