Worlds 2013

The Classics, Grand Tours, UCI Pro Tour and all the Elite Races Around The World.

Moderators: chaoscycling, Moderators

Worlds 2013

Postby Agent 86 » Mon Sep 30, 2013 9:40 am

OK, no one cared but it was a fun rainy race which at times looked like a slip and slide :D

For me it was a typical Worlds where the favorites took into account the other favorites but let the small potato slip by, Rui Costa slipped by and out sprinted for a close victory over JRod mister all year on. Yes, Valverde should of chased Costa but that's what makes it Worlds, favorites screwing up and building team disenfranchisement for next year :P Really was surprised Italy didn't have more guys near the end, then the Brits and Americans (or USA-ans) totally out of it, not one Brit finished and most of the USA-ans exited early due to crashes or just were not up to the rain soaked race.

Well we'll see Rui Costa next year on his new team Lampre wearing the rainbow, guess Movistar will get to use it for the rest of the year as well.
Team Cinzano, Home of The Evil Empire and Champions of the 2008 TdC !

And First to say '09 will be like '86 Hinault vs Lemond
Agent 86
Nit Picky Fiddy

Re: Worlds 2013

Postby scoottaymacattack » Mon Sep 30, 2013 10:38 am

The race coverage seemed to indicate that Purito raced to the wrong line. In fact, if you watch the finish, he points down in disgust to seemingly indicate that he was confused as to where to race to. In regards to the Italians, Nibali was in position to win but with two guys of the four remaining, the Spaniards were able to mark Nibali pretty well.
Hey, I wanna ride insane
And at the moment life starts to burn
I'm gonna ride this sunset to the grave

scoottaymacattack
Anonymous Poster

Postby Agent 86 » Mon Sep 30, 2013 11:10 pm

Yes, quite the imperfect race for Spain. JRod pre-sprinting, Valverde not counter attacking after Nibali reeled JRod back in, Valverde letting Costa go, and why did JRod always attack? Sure Valverde is a better sprinter but if he kept attacking like he did he would not of had anything left like he did for any sprint. We all know Nibali isn't a sprinter, so he had to go earlier and not wait, but was spent and did crash so maybe he was just set to get a lesser medal? If so why not call up to have another teammate attempt to take it? Nibali needed to attack much earlier and give it all then and not let it come down to a sprint if he wanted it.
Team Cinzano, Home of The Evil Empire and Champions of the 2008 TdC !

And First to say '09 will be like '86 Hinault vs Lemond
Agent 86
Nit Picky Fiddy

Postby scoottaymacattack » Wed Oct 02, 2013 2:37 pm

My assumption was that Purito was going out the front to stretch Nibali. Why Valverde didn't counter attack is a mystery to me. When Nibali caught up with Purito, he was spent. There's no way with two of the four riders left in the break that Spain should have come away with anything but the gold.
Hey, I wanna ride insane
And at the moment life starts to burn
I'm gonna ride this sunset to the grave

scoottaymacattack
Anonymous Poster

Return to Pro Tour and European Races : le Tour de France Time, where is all you's peeps?